When many people think of dentures, they think of the appliance that fills the entire mouth with white, beautiful teeth. However, did you know there is also a partial denture? Well, it’s true! Partial dentures are like complete dentures but instead of filling an entire mouth, they only replace a few consecutive missing teeth in a row.
The denture has a pink, gum-like base and there are white, beautiful, false teeth that are attached to the bottom or top of the appliance. When wearing the denture, you will simply put it into the gap of your smile and will clasp it to the remaining teeth that lie on both sides. This makes the denture sturdy, reliable, as well as removable.
When wearing the denture, you can expect the following things:
· Your appliance may feel a bit bulky or awkward when you first start wearing it. However, there is no need to worry as this is completely normal. You will become accustomed to it with time.
· Removing as well as inserting the appliance might require some practice. Some find it to be a tricky task.
· Your dentist will give you specific instructions on when, where, and how long you will wear the denture. Dr. Kenneth Kirk will also inform you on how to properly care for the appliance.
· Eating might be a difficult thing to do, but with some practice, you will be able to eat solid foods in no time. Until then, try eating small, soft foods until you get used to the muscle, tongue, and jaw movements.
· Talking will also be difficult at the beginning. However, you can improve your speech by reading words out loud and repeating the difficult words over and over again.
Call our office at 281-826-0025 if you are interested in improving your smile with a partial denture. We are happy to help you!